One of the most basic rights of American citizens is the right to vote. This right was extended to 18-year-olds with the 26th Amendment to the U.S. 1971年宪法. Participation by college-aged students has been increasing, rising 11% in the 2000 election according to U.S. 人口普查数据.
You may choose to register to vote in your home county or here in Washington County; as a college student, you are entitled to vote either at your home, permanent address or at your college address, as you are a resident of Marietta for at least 9 months of the year. To register in Marietta, OH, on-campus students musst use their residence hall address. 作为美国人.S. citizen, you have a right to have your voice heard in determining that direction. Issues such as mental health, environmental protections, 最低工资, and federal student loan funding are just a few positions that directly affect college-age youth. So let those that represent us know what you think!
Online Voter Registration 信息 for 俄亥俄州 Residents
To receive a voter registration form on campus, see the Office of Civic Engagement, McDonough 204.
俄亥俄州 voters are now required to provide proof of identity before voting. The form of identification that you may use includes your current and valid 状态-issued photo identification card, military identification, 水电费单副本, 银行对账单, 薪水, 政府检查, or government document showing your name and current address. You can recieve a utility bill for your MC address if you email firstname.lastname@example.org. 如果你没有, or fail or refuse to provide, the required proof of identity, you may cast a provisional ballot.
(Election Day Procedures, 俄亥俄州 Secretary of State Web site)
Submit the completed form to your local Board of Elections.
Find the correct address, using the the 俄亥俄州 County Boards of Election Directory:
Absentee Voter Provisions for 俄亥俄州 Students
信息 and deadlines on the absentee ballot process are found below. 俄亥俄州 law has separate application processes, 下面描述, for different classifications of voters:
"Regular" absentee voters (other than militia, armed services, overseas or provisional voters)
In order to request an absentee ballot from 俄亥俄州, you can complete and 提交此表格. All requests should be sent to the Board of Elections in the county in which you are registered.
To receive your absentee ballot:
- By mail: Unless you are a member of the U.S. 武装部队, you must mail your properly completed absentee ballot application bearing your original signature to the board of elections of the county in which your voting residence is located. The board must receive your request by noon on the Saturday before the election. However, you should submit your request as far in advance of the election as possible.
- In person: You may go to the board of elections office during regular business hours after absentee ballots are available for voting, but no later than the day before the election, 和请求, receive and vote your ballot at the board office.
- In hospital 在选举日: Regardless of where you are hospitalized, you must submit a properly completed and signed request to the board of elections of the county in which your voting residence is located by 3 p.m. 在选举日.
For your absentee ballot to be counted, it must be received as follows:
- If cast from anywhere in the United States, whether returned in person or by mail, your ballot must be received by your county board of elections by 7:30 p.m. 在选举日.
- If properly returned from out-of-country, your ballot must be received by your county board of elections not later than the 10th day after the election.
Absentee Ballot Request 形式 (PDF)
Students from 俄亥俄州, 宾西法尼亚 and 西维吉尼亚州 can use these forms to request absentee ballots.